Our Newlywed Experience

Within the Body of Christ



Daily receiving life and grace from His constant hand:

"I said to the Lord, 'Thou art my Lord;

I have no good besides Thee.'" Ps 16:2



Monday, June 6, 2011

Pray for Dodgie

“Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the Lord.” Psalm 31:24

I love how living scripture is. I’d seen this verse before. Yet about a month ago when I discovered the Mac’s blog, this scripture was their banner – and it was like I was looking at it for the first time…

Two weeks ago (one week before we left for Cayman) a “this could develop” nightmare from last winter suddenly became a painful reality: our little Dodgie has a congenital defect with his liver that will require surgery. The defect is called a Porto-systemic Shunt, where a vessel is bypassing his liver and going straight to his heart, so that blood isn’t getting filtered by the liver and all those toxins now flow through his system.


I was so terrified and deeply hurt that rainy, awful day when I found out, more than I know how to describe.

The surgery Dodger needs will slowly cut off the blood supply from the vessel that is shunting blood from the liver. The procedure has advanced a lot, but I know that if the dogs become hypertensive (if their blood pressure skyrockets) in the hours after the surgery, it means their body can’t handle having that vessel closed. I don’t know how often this happens, I’m sure it all depends on the dog. But when it happens, they die.
Period.


It was all I could think about that day. And I’d just cry.

Today we go in to get an Ultrasound for Dodgie, to actually look at the shunt (because up until now we’ve only done lab work and don’t know much about the extent of the shunt). I wanted you to pray:

1. For Dodgie’s appointment today. We have no idea what to expect. I’m terrified. What we could hear will run the range from “Oh, it’s not so bad at all and surgery should go smoothly” or “I’m so sorry, it’s more severe/pronounced than we thought and surgery won’t even be possible.” Please pray that Dodgie’s Ultrasound results are favorable.

2. For my heart. I’m terrified. I’m fearful. I feel out of control (because I am out of control of this). A part of me knows that the Lord may need to lead me through a season of deep pain as we go through this with Dodger, or even a season of grief as He calls Dodger from me altogether. As I realize this, a part of me wants to crumple in a scared ball and just cry. But another part of me knows (confidently, if not quietly) that with great pain will come great growth in my Lord. Always. It has been a defining part of my relationship with Him.

“I have seen great beauty of character in some who were great sufferers.” – C.S. Lewis

So I can’t really sum up what I want you to pray over my heart. You know where I am. Pray over me as the Spirit leads you. Your prayers mean more than you can imagine.

“Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a great high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:14-16

“…for He Himself has said, ‘I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,’ so that we confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. What shall man do to me?’” Hebrews 13:5-6



“Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the Lord.” Psalm 31:24



Blessings - Katie

No comments: